Sunday 2 June 2013

Knickers in Alaska

Now, before you think I've gone all Fifty Shades of Grey, the headline for this week's post came about during a random conversation with a friend. She mentioned another friend who lives in Alaska and always gets her - well, pants - in Seattle. This led to another conversation on the difficulties of finding said items of underwear in small towns and villages.
It was one of those giggly moments that stayed with me and made me realise that my main character, Clare, is lacking a sense of humour. This may be because a) she's still a work in progress b) tough stuff has happened to her or c) I haven't given her one yet.
However, if I'm to spend any amount of time with her (as I'm going to have to), I will be deadly bored after five minutes unless I give her something to laugh, or even smile at. It may be something as random as overhearing teenagers on a bus describing (and indeed acting out) their favourite episodes from Friends (this happened to me on Saturday).
Of course, humour is so subjective and it can't be forced. But, gosh, I've got to get her smiling soon or I'll be crossing the street to avoid her...
PS - I'm reading James Scott Bell's excellent Revision and Self Editing for Publication at the moment. Highly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment