Tuesday 21 May 2013

What's in a name?


So I seem to have managed to get the novel into first gear anyway. I took all the bits of false ‘starts’ , stuck them into one folder on the computer, labelled the chapters and read through the whole thing. I realised that I had given the main character three separate names and none of them was right. So she’s now called Clare, which was the name of a minor character but in a scene of dialogue between the two, I had accidentally called the main character ‘Clare’ and it stuck.

After my main character became Clare, the story started to come together a little more. So maybe the naming of characters is more important than I thought it was.

A writing colleague also mentioned something else. I always had a ‘fear of influence’, you know, that whatever I was reading would somehow seep into the first draft of my novel and get mixed up with my own voice. Well, my colleague suggested that because I was dipping in and out of all sorts of projects (short stories for magazines, trying to market and edit a previous novel, teaching) that I was possibly being influenced by other characters from my own writing J. So maybe there’s something to be said for just focusing on one thing at a time…

No comments:

Post a Comment