Tuesday 2 July 2013

Continuity Clipboard

I think that 'overhauling' a novel draft is more a case of trying to make sure that the continuity is consistent. I've spent a few  of my 'writing sessions' this week on The Apple House, the dodgy first novel. Some of these sessions were spent tinkering with an earlier draft, when I had actually made more changes in a later draft, which, because I had forgotten to label said draft correctly, I forgot about.
But I was thinking about once being on a film set and there was a continuity woman with a clipboard, meticulously noting every minor detail so that nothing would jar with the viewer in the final film. I realised, as I noted gaps in time sequences, scenes which were too short, or narrative points of view which just weren't necessary, that when it comes to novels, sometimes it is as simple as getting the 'continuity' right.
Can a short, flimsy chapter be moved to be part of a longer chapter, so that everything feels less 'jerky'? Can I jettison one flimsy narrative point of view, knowing that the story will still be complete without it (and the reader won't get bored reading the same thing twice?). Can a 'passive' scene be replaced by some short, snappy dialogue, to liven things up a bit, so that the poor old reader doesn't fall asleep?
Of course, overhauling a novel draft (particularly one you haven't looked at for a long time) requires a level or organisation that sometimes feels at odds with creativity. It also requires a 'chunk' of time which I don't always have.
So, I'm going to try to keep a note of what page number I'm on, what still needs done and tick off what I've done, so when I next pick up the threads of The Apple House, I'll know exactly where I am.
In theory anyway...

No comments:

Post a Comment